After a year full of overcoming obstacles and facing new challenges we all have had a year of growth, so why not keep that growth going into 2021. We could easily let the worlds current circumstances let us feel down, but who likes not being in a good mood! 2020 taught me some lifestyle changes that have helped me mentally stay positive. Below is a list of some super easy additions you can make to your daily life to improve your optimism.
- The Five Minute Journal– It has been proven that the simple act of acknowledging gratitude can improve your mental health. This journal allows you to start & end your day with writing what you are grateful for. It sets the intention of looking at the day positively, and appreciating the little things in life.
- Screen Time Limitations- A couple months ago I discovered the downtime feature on iPhones. I decided to set it up so I can’t access social media from 8:00 p.m to 8:00 a.m. I enjoy browsing social media throughout the day, but sometimes it can be on the more negative side. By not looking at it first thing in the morning or right before bed, It can tremendously help your mental health.
- Working Out- This one is pretty obvious. Exercising releases endorphins which are a happy chemical for your brain. Exercise is one of the best things you can do to add productivity to your day & to spend your time doing something that that can benefit your future self. Something as simple as a walk around the block can get your body moving. As well as exercise I’ll add another obvious little bonus tip in this section. Drink lots and lots of water- I recommend with lemons- and eating a balanced diet. Doctors recommend Vitamin B and Omega 3 for helping with anxiety.
- Headspace- This app takes a little bit of practice, but it’s worth it once you get into it. Learning how to use your breath can help guide you out of any stressful situation. The app has so many different guides to learning how to meditate, sleep podcasts ( good for those who have problems falling asleep), and just many tools to help flip your mindset. They have a free version or a premium version for 12 dollars a month. I’ve been using it for a short amount of time, but I really do think it is a super good tool.
- Self Care Days- A bubble bath, chamomile tea, aromatherapy air diffusers, and a Rachel Hollis book is the guide to a successful day of relaxation. I try to take a day like this once a week because I think during these times everyone needs a few days to try to focus on themselves & not what is going on in the world.
- Manifestation Boards- Since It’s still the beginning of 2021 you can still make a board of all the things you want to happen this year. This board will then help you put what you want out into the universe. Go onto Pinterest and just scroll through your feed, pin everything that inspires you to a 2021 mood board tab, and then take all the pictures and collage them on an app like Picsart. Once this is done you can look at this once a day to inspire you to keep chasing each dream.
I hope you can take one of these 6 tips and add it into your daily habits to help keep your mindset positive. Trust me I know it’s easier said than done, but just keep working at it everyday until it clicks. I’ve been trying this since my high school went fully virtual in November, and the positive mindset has been hard when your spending each day in sweats on zoom classes, but I try to remember “happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.”
Thanks for reading todays post, just remember things are going to get better and keeping a positive mindset will help us all get through hard times. Stay safe, be happy, have fun, and I’ll talk to y’all in my next post!
xoxo- Ashlyn Kate
Bonus Tip- Get the daily Grace Notes book by Alexandra Stoddard. Todays quote of the day in the book was “Life is a pure flame, we live by an invisible sun within us.” -Sir Thomas Browne